(This article is under construction)
WARNING: BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Paypal has a very restrictive API, which makes it difficult to use for several features inside Hyax.
Here are some issues when you use Paypal with Hyax
- Products with payment plans will not allow Paypal checkout
- In your storefront or funnel you cannot purchase recurring products with Paypal combined with other products - this is due to Paypal’s restrictions on needing a separate checkout page for each subscription
- Due to this checkout forms with order bumps will not allow Paypal checkout
- Extra US taxes are not paid for Paypal subscription products due to the inability of Paypal’s API to do dynamic taxes on subscription products. If you need to pay taxes, include your tax inside your product’s price (so instead of charging $50, you might charge $55 for the product). In most cases, digital products do not require taxes anyways, however, check with your accountant for your specific jurisdiction.
- However, setting up VAT works with Paypal subscription products
Step 0) Initial Setup
You'll need to upgrade your PayPal account to a Business Account or create a new Business PayPal account to use the Paypal integration.
Step 1) Create a Paypal API rest app (sandbox)
Because we are using advanced parts of the Paypal API within Hyax, you'll need to create a "rest app" within Paypal.
1) Login to Paypal developer here
2) Then go to my apps / credentials on the left-side navigation
3) Create a sandbox application.
- Fill in the App Name with the name of your site or business.
- Click Create App
Here's a visual so you can see what I mean --
You will be redirected to a screen that contains the API Credentials needed to set up your PayPal integration. On this screen you'll see Client ID and also the "secret", which you can reveal by clicking the "show" link.
4) Copy these settings into the "sandbox" details spot inside Hyax.
Get both the Client ID and the Secret, type them into the Sandbox area.
Step 2) Create another Paypal API rest app (live)
Now we're going to repeat the above steps, except we'll be making a LIVE app instead of a Sandbox app.
Add the LIVE client id and client secret into your Live Paypal Details section.
We use both Sandbox and Live apps so you can test your Paypal integration inside Hyax.
Step 3) Add your webhook details in your LIVE app
Go into your Live app details inside Paypal and find the section to Add Webhook.
Then you'll need to get your webhook URL from your project settings area inside Hyax and paste it.
This is what your Paypal app setting should look like with the webhook added.
Proceed to this help article to learn how to TEST your Paypal integration. (Link coming)